woensdag 30 oktober 2013

Helen Shideler


Painting a colorful life in Watercolor and Acrylics

Helen Shideler Paintings


As long as I can remember I have been drawing and painting. Although my subject matter may have changed with time, what has not changed is my attraction to nature; being drawn in by sunlight, shadows, textures and details all with rich colors.
For me, painting is a celebration of life and how light and color interact. I always approach my work with enthusiasm and energy. Painting feels like a rather intimate experience as I spend an inordinate amount of time with each work - from the original photography sessions through the visualization exercise to the initial sketches and beyond.
Over the years, I have developed a distinctive style, full of life with a sense of whimsy. Even when I try to loosen up or change it up, the style remains recognizable. I think this is because my approach is the same using vivid colors, focusing on details and precise handling of the paint. It is my signature - my visual voice.
The majority of my work is produced in a series. This is quite intentional as I try to perfect my handling of the subject. I paint what interests me – one painting most often leads to another and then another….
For me the joy is in the challenge – the complexity, and getting it right. I constantly strive to hold myself to the highest standards. And yet, I subscribe to the philosophy there is nothing you can’t fix, you just have to go for it!
When I paint I feel connected to nature and life. Whenever I take a hiatus for what ever reason, I become distracted and seem to lose concentration. It affects my mood, my outlook, my sleep and even who I am. I like myself much better when I am actively engaged in the creative process and painting.

My work is included in numerous private and corporate collections in Canada and in the US. Having always been an active supporter of regional art events and organizations, my work has been included in numerous invitational and juried shows across Canada. This active participation has presented me with numerous exhibition opportunities, recognition and awards, including Best in Show. To date, I have held eight solo exhibitions and currently have my ninth show "Full Spectrum" scheduled to be held at the Saint John Imperial Theatre early fall 2011.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten